Saturday, May 26, 2012

New to Florida

My mom and I spent the past week driving everything I own from Colorado, where I've lived for the last 25 years, to Southern Florida. I unpacked the truck Friday and my horizons have already started broadening. When you open yogurt cups, they don't pop open and spurt that little bit of yogurt like they do at high altitude. Mildew is going to be a constant threat. A load of laundry takes at LEAST 60 minutes to dry fully. Not all homes have central heat - hopefully they don't all need it. There are a lot of new plants, animals, and bugs for me to get used to. Condensation on cold drinks needs active management to avoid damage to documents. A squeegee is going to be of more use than an ice scraper and brush to clear off my windows in the morning.

I have only a few days to get things situated in my new apartment and at my internship program before flying to Scotland for a family vacation. Thankfully, I will have a bit over two weeks after the Scotland trip before starting orientation. After my med school rotation experiences, I hope this orientation will cover hospital layout, computer program use, paper chart layout, and common pre-printed forms. At most of my rotations, I had to figure all this out in the fly, and it greatly hampered productivity.

Scott

PS: I wasn't able to set up internet yet, so I'm using my iPhone to post this, and my pictures of some local flora and fauna are yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment